Friday, January 9, 2009

Anonymity

Just when you think you're anonymous, life has a way of letting you know you're always in the back of its mind. Comforting in one way, yet discouraging in that even as adults, we're still children hunting cookie jars. In the same breath, how come it seems that for all the good we do in life, we're recognized moreso for our mistakes and missteps?

After a hectic and somewhat downtrodden week, I ran into an old acquaintance while walking to the market today. Over the years, I've learned to drown out everyday life and functionaly zone out. In mode and en route, this person recognized me and caught my attention and I caught myself off guart by welcoming the company.

Our connection was via a previous employer and no... not that kind of employer. This was from another time and an earlier life. A simpler period looking back, however miserable at the time. We shared the jewelry counter at a local department store, so it was a young lady's dream gig for a short while. A diamond encrusted playland that paid the bills. What's to complain about you ask?? I was freshly dipped each night as long as I returned the keys to the pumpkin in the morning, before my supervisor got in.

My co-worker and this morning's acquaintance, would constantly warn me about my actions, until I convinced her to accompany me out. I made a point to take enough for the both of us and being away from the diamond mine made it easier to persuade her to try the charmed life. To see the sparkle in her eye when she saw her bedazzled reflection brought back the memories I used to enjoy before complacency set in. After a bit of playtime, I managed to drag her away to enjoy the rest of the night.

With the next day came a jarring discussion thanks to my supervisor. Seems my princess-in-training took a bit of fondness to some of her trinkets and when questioned, decided to share her version of Cinderella, complete with naming the little mouse that delivered the goods. Although I was mildly upset that I was outed, I was building up my escape from slavery in the diamond mines, so it all worked out.

After some introduction chatter, we questioned each other's travels since commercial slavery. She had since finished college and was a happy cubicle drone in an office downtown, complete with husband and kids. With a block to go before she reached her daily destination, she inquired about my path up to today. How does one, in my shoes, handle this with grace, tact, and "ahem" honesty?? I did my best to describe tripping across my business concept over dinner with a date. Oh, the life of a therapist (specializing in undersexed males). School... yes, I studied men's philosophy. Family... very little unless you count those that disowned me once they made their discoveries... "ahem" I mean no, we've become distant over the past few years... connecting over the holidays.

As her building approached, we bid adieus and exchanged hugs... she holding a bit longer than what would seem customary. When our eyes met again, I could see that my lies were less than successful and I saw a look of curiosity, disgust and pity. Again, I was the one on the wrong side of the tracks and she was the one wanting to step. Cursing me for feeding the parasites that taint the innocent world she likes to claim. I wondered how many times she saw me walking before deciding to approach me and now regretting her decision because of the soiling that resulted.

No comments: